Sometimes when we want to make a change in a home, it can be as simple as changing a light fixture. When building a home, we are given only a few choices, and then they might not be what we like. While on the other hand, when we buy a home from a seller, their taste could be different than what we like. Whatever the reason is, it is relatively inexpensive and it can be a DIY as well. How to change a bathroom light fixture? There are materials you will need and steps to follow to make sure it is done correctly.
Why Do Homeowners Change Light Fixtures?
There can be various reasons why someone would want to change their bathroom light fixture. It could be due to:
- Wanting to update the overall look and style of the bathroom
- The old fixture is damaged or malfunctioning
- Improving the functionality of the lighting
- Saving energy by switching to more efficient fixtures
- Enhancing the brightness or mood in the bathroom
How Much Do Light Fixtures Cost?
The cost of light fixtures can vary greatly depending on factors such as style, brand, and quality. Generally, you can find affordable options starting from around $20 to $30. However, there are also high-end fixtures that can cost several hundred dollars or more.
Materials Needed to Change a Bathroom Light Fixture
Before getting started, make sure you have the following materials handy:
- New light fixture
- Screwdriver (flathead and/or Phillips)
- Wire nuts
- Electrical tape
- Wire stripper (if needed)
- Ladder or step stool (if necessary)
- Safety goggles (optional but recommended)
How to Change a Bathroom Light Fixture
Now, let’s walk through the steps to change your bathroom light fixture:
- Measure first: Before purchasing a new fixture, measure the space to ensure proper fitment.
- Disconnect the power: Turn off the power supply to the bathroom lights at the circuit breaker.
- Remove the existing light fixture: Unscrew and remove the old fixture from the wall or ceiling, carefully detaching it from any mounting brackets.
- Disconnect the wiring: Once the fixture is removed, locate the wire nuts connecting the wires. Loosen the nuts, untwist the wires, and remove the old fixture’s wiring.
- Prepare the area to add the light fixture: Clean the area and ensure it is free of any debris or obstacles that could hinder installation.
- Install the new mounting plate: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to attach the new mounting plate securely to the electrical box.
- Connect the wiring: Carefully connect the wires of the new fixture to the corresponding wires in the junction box using wire nuts. Make sure all connections are secure and properly insulated with electrical tape if necessary.
- Attach the new light fixture: Position the new fixture onto the mounting plate and secure it in place with screws.
Other Recommended Maintenance
Now that you know about how to change a bathroom light fixture, let’s take a look at a few other areas of maintenance. One of those is increasing the natural light in your home. This can be done by making sure furniture isn’t blocking the light. Another way is exchanging the heavy blackout curtains or using skylights or glass doors when you can.
Another is removing old recessed lighting. Sometimes this needs to be done to change out the lighting you have for something different. To do this, there are steps you can follow.
Lastly, while you are looking at more light in the home, one area might be vinyl windows. If you have these and want to paint them, it is a delicate process and you will want to read up on the instructions and what is entailed before you go through with the process.
When Do I Call a Professional?
While changing a light fixture is generally a straightforward task, there are situations where it is best to consult a professional electrician. Consider calling a professional if:
- You are unsure about working with electricity or lack experience.
- The wiring in your bathroom is outdated or complex.
- You encounter unexpected complications during the installation process.
- You prefer to have the peace of mind and expertise of a trained professional.
By following these steps and precautions, you should be able to successfully change your bathroom light fixture. Remember to always prioritize safety by disconnecting the power before starting any electrical work. If you feel uncomfortable or unsure, don’t hesitate to reach out to a qualified electrician for assistance. Reach out to Magnolia Home Inspection services for a home inspection in Houston, TX, and the surrounding areas.